Thursday, April 3, 2014

Literature-map


I wonder how people look for a book they would like.  Some people might have friends who also like reading.  Some people might find information on the Internet.  I am lucky to have family members, especially my husband side, who love reading, and they are the main source of my information.  What I noticed recently was that they sometimes talk about a specific book that they really got into, but usually they talk about authors they like.  They say, “I could read what ever he or she writes” or “ I read all books he or she wrote”.  Then, I thought about if I have an author who I love that much.  Yes, I do.  It is Amy Tan, but only Amy Tan.  I thought I want more authors that I would like.

When I was thinking about it and surfing the Internet, I happened to find Literature-map, http://www.literature-map.com.  I went to this site, put Amy Tan in a box and hit “continue”, then it showed bunch of authors’ names I could like.  The center of the circle is Amy Tan, and I assume the author that is closest to Amy Tan is the one I would like the best.  However, it is Wally Lamb!  I bought Wally Lamb’s book a couple of years ago but only read several pages and quit.  The book has been somewhere in a very bottom of a pile.  I checked other authors and found Pearl S. Buck.  Her “The Good Earth” is amazing.  But her name is far from the center.  I also found Dr. Seuss, also far from the center, but I thought it’s interesting his name was there.

Has anyone tried Literature-map before?  If not, try it!  I am curious if you find out this site is useful or not.  I’d appreciate if you’d leave a comment about your result.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very cool concept. I put Anthony Bourdain's name into the literature map and it gave me a lot of names, many of which were new to me. Among them I recognized some food writers and some comedy writers, because Mr. Bourdain's writing covers both of these bases. This gave me some new ideas for my next trip to the library. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete