Tuesday, April 22, 2014

iBooks


Many people nowadays use a kindle or iPad to read a book, but I have always preferred paper books.  I know eBooks are cheaper than brand new paper books, but I usually use a library or buy books at Goodwill.  Plus I've preferred flipping pages rather than scrolling the screen... well, until today.

Today, I needed to upgrade my MacBook to install IBM SPSS software for my statistics class.  My MacBook was OS 10.6 but it needed to be at least 10.7 to install the software.  Luckily, I could upgrade my MacBook to 10.9, Mac OS Marvericks, for free, which I was glad about because I did not want to spend any more money after spending almost $100 for the software.  Additionally, I got several new cool features that made me happier, and the upgrade also gave me a new application, iBooks that made me a little puzzled, but did not make me unhappy. 

Surprisingly, it rather made me curious, and once I opened it, I became into it.  I have no idea why I disliked eBooks without knowing what it is like very well.  I surfed the apple store because I really wanted to buy a book to try.  There are so many books I want to buy, but my budget is so tight this month.  I finally chose one of my favorite classic novels, The Old Man and the Sea for $0.99.  I love it because it is like a long poem.  The story is very simple, but the expression is so beautiful and eloquent.  When I read The Old Man and the Sea in Japanese long time ago, it sounded really boring because of, I guess, the poor translation.  I was so glad when I tried the same story in original language, English, because I found it is wonderful.

After I downloaded this wonderful book as my first book on my iBooks, I opened the book.  I can highlight sentences I like, bookmark pages I like, and change the font and background color.  I of course can carry it in my iPod touch.  It is so dangerous considering about my tight budget but I am already looking for my second one.  I am so dangerously excited.

1 comment:

  1. Im glad you started to like using ebook, they not only save you money but you can highlight, take notes, change fonts, and have multiple books for where every you go. After my first semester of college I knew how expensive college text book were. Since then I can usually get all of my book in the digital version for much cheaper and you can even rent digital books for even cheaper now too.

    ReplyDelete