Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Help



We can never choose where, when, and how we are born.  We could be born during a war, in a country with dictatorship government, or with multiple handicaps.  All we have to do is accept the situation we are given and live hard.  I am sure it is easier to say, and that’s why I always admire people who overcome their difficult circumstances.  As a book reader, books like Wild Swans and The Help, which deeply inspired me, are very important for me.  I keep these books in a bookshelf forever so that they always encourage me whenever I see them. 

I read The Help recently because my friend recommended its film.  Like many other book readers, I believe books are often, I do not say always, better than films.  So, I started reading The Help.  It is about the black women’s lives in 1960’s, when many black women worked as maids for white family under the severe discrimination.  I really appreciate that I can experience the compassion and courage of the characters in this book while reading it.  It is not a real experience of course, but my feeling really moved at each events.  This is my favorite part of reading.  Especially when the story is about women based on their daily life, I tend to immerse myself in the story.  There is also a white character who stands up for black ladies.  It is really difficult to do the right thing under the circumstances like in this story. 

If you want to read a book about women’s history that could move your heart, this might be the one you are looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment