Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Holes

My friend recently asked me what book I would recommend for her 4th grade son.  I even didn’t have to think about it to answer her question because I knew what I recommend.  It was definitely Holes although I was not sure if it's too difficult for 4th graders or not, but I love it and he can read it anytime in the future anyway.   

Holes written by Louis Sachar is one of Newbery Award Winners.  When I happened to find Holes in a library several years ago, I even didn’t know what Newbery Award is.  I just happened to take it out of a bookshelf and started reading a couple of pages.  I just wanted to see what kind of story it is and did not mean to read it long standing by the bookshelf but could not stop reading it either.  I ended up sitting in a chair, kept reading, and brought it home to finish it. 

When I read a children’s book, I often get bored.  It might be because the plot tends to be too ordinal and boring.  Sometimes the setting is too unrealistic and fantasied.  Holes is one of unrealistic side of stories, but quite imaginable.  When I was reading it, I was totally into it.  It was sometimes mysterious and made me nervous.  It was sometimes adventurous and made me feel excited. 

If you are looking for a book for children, especially who do not like onions, Holes might be a good one.  The scene with onions is my favorite part of this book.  I am not crazy about onions, but I wanted to eat onions after reading this book.  Pick up the book and find out how your appetite changes!


1 comment:

  1. Holes is one of my favorite books as well. I still remember when I had to read it for school, it didn't feel like a homework at all.

    ReplyDelete