Thursday, February 27, 2014

Wild Swans


When I read Wild Swans written by Jung Chang, I was a college student who was not interested in reading any kind of books at all.  I was almost graduating college but had no future plan and even no motivation for doing anything.  One day, my friend recommended me to read Wild Swans.  She didn’t tell me any detail but said, “Just read it because it would change your life.”  Although I was not a book reader, I knew I needed to change my life and went to a bookstore.  It had been already several years since Wild Swans was published first time, but it was still one of bestsellers and books were in a pile in the bookstore.  I bought one, started reading before going to bed, and ended up reading it overnight.  For two days, I just read the book and slept in between without going college because I got so into it.  I never knew I could keep reading like this for days. 

I do not want to write the detail in case you might want to read it in the future, but I can give some general information.  Wild Swans is the story of Jung Chang her self, her mother, and her ground mother.   These women went through China’s big historical changes including Japanese Invasion, World War II, and Cultural Revolution.  You can imagine people had to be very strong to go through these rough times.  I was shocked by the story but also impressed with these tough women.  I felt like I can do anything I want to do if I try, but nothing will change if I do not try.  This book not only made me become a book reader but also made me a positive person. 

This is one of books I always recommend to anybody, especially to women.  If you need some encouragement or want to study about Chinese modern history, this is the book you should read.  Hope you enjoy it too!

1 comment:

  1. That is remarkable that this book changed your life. Jung Chang went through a lot and it sounds like a very inspirational story. This should be a book that if someone doesn't really appreciate their life right now should read. I feel that it will help to open up their eyes to the world outside of their small vision.

    ReplyDelete